Gates Hudson fosters and promotes an environmentally conscious perspective across all its enterprise companies and is committed to implementing environmentally sustainable business practices at each of our managed properties. In doing so, we provide a healthier and more productive workplace for our employees and protect long term value and return on investment for client partners. This is the mission of the Gates Hudson Sustainability Team: to develop and execute a sustainable real estate strategy in collaboration with client partners, tenants, employees and vendors to make a positive impact on the communities in which we live and work. The key components of the Gates Hudson Sustainability Strategy include the following:
- Energy Star Partner® – Gates Hudson is an Energy Star Partner® committed to monitoring and reducing energy consumption where possible, thus minimizing cost and the property’s environmental impact.
- Renewable Energy Purchasing – Gates Hudson has steadily increased its use of renewable energy across its portfolio by offering clients a variety of attractive contract purchase options. Gates Hudson has partnered with Open Market Energy, LLC in an effort to streamline the renewable energy bidding and procurement process.
- Energy Audits – Gates Hudson has in-house tools and expertise to maximize the energy efficiency of our managed properties by performing energy audits, utility analysis and fine-tuning energy management systems to optimize performance.
- Lighting Audits – Gates Hudson regularly conducts studies at its managed properties and stays abreast of the very latest in efficient lighting technology for walkways, parking lots, common areas and tenant spaces to make sure we are utilizing the most economical and efficient fixtures. Often times, this audit is done in conjunction with a larger Energy Star optimization process. The audit and ultimate implementation or retrofit often results in enhanced illumination, less maintenance, less energy use and greater overall efficiency.
Gates Hudson is dedicated to raising awareness of and increasing efforts to conserve this critical, but diminishing resource by implemented plumbing fixture retrofit programs, replacing water hungry landscaping material with more drought resistant native species, and installing SMART irrigation systems..
- Gates Hudson is a member of the United States Green Building Council (USGBC), a non-profit organization dedicated to recognizing the highest levels of green building performance through its LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) rating system. Several of our managed properties have received LEED certifications, which demonstrates Gates Hudson’s and our clients’ dedication to providing the highest quality indoor and outdoor environments for our tenants. This commitment also includes training our property professionals in the latest industry best practices for sustainability and adhering to LEED certification requirements for sustainable design and operations such as use of sustainable materials, indoor air quality monitoring, waste stream auditing, utilizing green cleaning methods and accommodating bicycles and other alternative modes of transportation
Education & Training
- Gates Hudson actively supports the ongoing education and training of its employees, clients, tenants and vendors on a host of environmentally responsible topics. This training is made available to all levels of staff and includes industry association certification, vendor provided on-site training, in-house seminars and on-line educational programs. Our view is that, given the proper tools, we can all play an important role in enhancing sustainability.
Learn more from the Gates Hudson Sustainability Team – complete the form below.